What kinds of treatment options are offered?
The urology team at First MedCare provides an array of care and treatment options for diseases and disorders of the urogenital tract, including:
- diagnosis and treatment of chronic and recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- evaluation and treatment of urinary incontinence, including treatment of pelvic floor disorders
- prostate evaluation and cancer screening
- treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- interstitial cystitis treatment
- evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- minimally-invasive diagnostic and treatment options, including cystoscopy and vasectomy
- treatment of kidney stones
What are the symptoms of BPH?
The most common symptoms are difficulty urinating, needing to urinate frequently including during the night, and a weak or interrupted urine stream. These symptoms also occur with prostate cancer, so being evaluated is critical.
What is a PSA test?
PSA stands for prostate-specific antigen, and a PSA blood test evaluates the amount of the antigen in a man’s blood. High levels of PSA have been linked with prostate cancer or an increased risk for cancer. PSA tests are routinely ordered for older men and often used in conjunction with a digital rectal exam (DRE) to provide a full assessment of prostate cancer risks.
What symptoms do UTIs cause?
UTIs are most common among women, but they can also occur in men. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- pain or burning during urination
- frequent urge to urinate
- inability to empty the bladder or feeling like the bladder is not empty even after urinating
- lower backache or fever
UTIs can quickly spread to the kidneys where they can cause serious damage, and getting care at the first sign of symptoms is very important. UTIs can usually be treated with antibiotics, but sometimes, they can recur. Taking the complete course of antibiotics is important to help prevent recurrence. When UTIs occur frequently, additional evaluations may need to be performed to determine if an obstruction or another issue is contributing to their occurrence.