- Home > Cardiology
What types of Cardiology services do we provide?
Cardiologists of First MedCare provide patients with a wide range of cardiology services, including:
- Management for high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Diagnosis and management of arrhythmias, heart murmurs, atrial fibrillation (AFib) and other irregular heartbeats
- Diagnosis and management of heart disease and heart failure
- Evaluation of symptoms like dizziness, vertigo, shortness of breath, fainting (syncope) and fatigue
- Aftercare for heart attack patients
- Evaluation and treatment of chest pain and angina
- Heart attack prevention services
- In-office EKGs and echocardiograms
- What is a Holter or event monitor?
Holter and event monitors are small devices worn for a period, typically 24 hours, which record the electrical activity of the heart, similar to an EKG.
What is an echocardiogram?
An echocardiogram is a diagnostic evaluation of the heart that uses ultrasound waves to create images of the structures of the heart as well as the activity in and around the heart. Echocardiograms can help your cardiologist to diagnose a range of issues and determine the cause of symptoms such as irregular heartbeats, fainting or dizziness, and chest pains. They can also be used to assess the function of the heart following a heart attack or to monitor the effectiveness of treatments for heart disease, heart failure, atrial fibrillation and other conditions. Echocardiograms are sometimes used in combination with a stress test. Similar to EKGs, echocardiograms are painless; and they can be performed right in the office.
What is a cardiac stress test?
Stress tests are used to evaluate how well the heart functions during periods of physical activity. During a stress test, the patient walks on a treadmill at increasing speeds for a specified period while an EKG machine records the electrical activity of the heart. Some stress tests are performed using exercise bikes. Stress tests can also be combined with echocardiograms to obtain images of the heart before exercise and immediately afterward.
NYS Dental Outreach Program – Innovative children’s dental care brought delivered directly at pre-school and day care centers throughout New York State.